This unit standard is designed to provide credits towards the mathematical literacy requirements of the NQF at level 2. The essential purposes of the mathematical literacy requirements are that, as the learner progresses with confidence through the levels, the learner will grow in:
- An insightful use of mathematics in the management of the needs of everyday living to become a self-managing person
- An understanding of mathematical applications that provides insight into the learner `s present and future occupational experiences and so develop into a contributing worker
- The ability to voice a critical sensitivity to the role of mathematics in a democratic society and so become a participating citizen.
People credited with this unit standard are able to:
- Convert numbers between the decimal number system and binary number system
- Work with numbers in different ways to express size/magnitude.
- Demonstrate the effect of error in calculations.